Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pillow

I’m your average teenage girl. I have an amazing best friend, I drive, I work, I have crushes. I am different too though. So very different. It’s hard for a girl to have a normal life in New York, a city that comes alive at night, when I can’t force myself to stay awake half of the time. I have a disorder that doesn’t allow me to stay awake. It’s like the opposite of insomnia.
Tonight was different for the first time ever. I actually woke up, and I decided that I was going out. I had let this disease, if you’d even call it that, control my life. I gave up trying honestly. But not anymore. I deserve a normal life. After high school, I want to be remembered as more than just Addison, the girl who sleeps all of the time. From now on, Im going to be fun. Im going to try new things and have new adventures. In thirty years, I can always just lay in bed and sleep, but I won’t have high school and all of my teenage years back in thirty years, so I need to stop wasting time.
As I got out of bed tonight, I looked back and saw the mark my head left on the pillow. I smile, and realize tonight really is a new beginning.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting--we all long for sleep, but getting too much can really drag a person down...My husband's friend has narcolepsy. He would be standing in the hallway at school drinking a Coke and talking to everyone and then suddenly he'd drop the can because he'd fallen asleep for a moment. I can imagine this has held him back from lots of things in life.

    ReplyDelete