Monday, October 20, 2014

Music Post

I don't think I have a favorite song. I have a playlist of songs labled "favorites" and theres literally hundreds of songs there. I'm way too indecisive to have one favorite. I do have favorite artists, including Kodaline, SWS, He is We, and Ed Sheeran. I just really like all of those because all of them have some major memories that go along with them. I dislike music as easily as I fall in love with music. If a song has a bad memory connected to it, I automatically hate it. Honestly most songs that I hate are songs that are fairly popular with my friends. I'm picky about how I think things should sound and I really don't like songs that are too repetitive or have no meaning. I say I dont like repetitive songs but I really love the song Heal by Tom Odell which is just the same few lines sung over and over, but the song is gold.

My taste in music has gotten so much better the older I get. I used to listen to just whatever everyone else listens to, but I finally learned to find my own kind of music. My music taste is extremely wide spread. I don't really have a type of music I listen to, I just have certain artists and songs I like. I like music that has deeper meanings or music that can be interpreted however I want it to be.

My friends don't listen to the same music as me which can lead to problems during long car rides or parties we're hosting together. Hannah and I have recently butted heads on this. She refuses to listen to anything but country music, and don't get me wrong, that's fine. But sometimes I need a break from songs about trucks and alcohol and girls. I have a small obsession with Cold Play, and by small I mean extremely large obsession. None of my friends will listen to Cold Play and I honestly have no idea why. I love love love Ed Sheeran and I could listen to him forever, but it seems like no one else that I hang out with is as in love with his voice as I am. There's just something about how passionately he sings that makes me love him even more. I'm really open to new music and artists and will listen to basically anything, but some of my friends are so close minded. I don't think listening to different kinds of music really means anything. People like different things and that doesn't change anything.

I honestly think music has the power to heal. Sometimes people can hear one chorus or lyric and it can totally change their perspective of everything. I know that music can change my mood in a matter of seconds. I also have heard so many stories of music helping heal people not only emotionally but physically. Sometimes music is all they need to pull through and be strong. I think music has a lot more power than most people realize.

I am absolutely awful at singing but I also love to sing. I'm loud and obnoxious but it's so fun. For the longest time I actually wanted to play my violin professionally but I lost interest in that solely because of teachers. It's also so hard to go anywhere with that kind of music because there are so many great players. I stopped caring and eventually even quit orchestra. The fact that I have major stage fright is also a huge factor as to why I could never sing or be a musician. That and the lack of talent.

1 comment:

  1. I will listen to Coldplay with you! One of my favorites--I use several of their songs in my English 4 class for different things. I agree with what you suggested about developing your own unique taste in music as a sign of maturity.

    ReplyDelete