Sunday, November 23, 2014

Inspired by Collins

Learning to read opened a door to a new world
A new life, a new universe.
A world full of new realities
New friends, new drama, new stories

I used to avoid everyone
Young or old, I had to get away.
Afraid of conversations
Afraid of saying the wrong thing
Afraid of saying too much, resulting in me never saying enough

Books were my safe place.
A vacation, and a place to run to when things got bad.
I dove right into a new life
A world where I had nothing to avoid
No conversations I had to contribute to.
Books were, and always will be, my portal from one reality to the next. 

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of Maya Angelou going silent for several years as a child...she was afraid her words could kill after she outed a man who had attacked her and he was beaten to death. She turned to books, too, as a place where it was okay for her not to speak. I would imagine that, like her, you soaked up so much from these stories you found your solace in.

    ReplyDelete