Monday, August 18, 2014

I Am Poem


Ansley Fox
Mrs. Fraser
Creative Writing
15 August 2014
I am…
I am…
A student struggling to stand out and at the same time struggling to fit in, a student trying so hard to impress parents, teachers and classmates.
A daughter, oldest of three children, the guinea pig, raised listening to country music and being taught that I can do anything I put my mind to.
A sister who can say and act like I don’t like Coy and Caylee, but would do anything for them in a heartbeat if they needed me.
A tennis player who loves being part of a team, loves the ugly uniforms and loves the way I feel after my partner and I get the match winning hit.
A worrier that constantly has to have things my way or at least have things done in some kind of logical way,
A dreamer, dreaming of places I long to visit and people I long to meet.
A planner that needs to know what I’m supposed to be doing at all times, someone who also likes to tell other people what they should be doing, never wanting to be late or confused about anything going on.
I am…
Mashed potatoes without gravy, cupcakes from the bakery I work at, sweet tea to sooth my sonic addiction and Chinese food.
The gold rose ring given to me from my grandmother, the ring given to her from my papa during their dating stage. The only thing left to remind me that at one point my grandma and I actually tolerated each other.
An old ratty pair of pajama pants that take me back to Spring Break of 2007 when I spent a week with my aunt Erma who was the only person that could help me cope with an eating disorder, Erma, the woman I looked up to for so long and the woman I miss more than anything.
Picture after picture of silly faces and silly poses with the best friends I’ve ever had.
Dozens of college brochures that are making my plans for the future that much more complicated.
Paint brushes, paint, and canvases.
Messy rooms and messy car but I always know where everything is.

I am…
Brown hair with a touch of ginger naturally, blonde hair or darker hair when I need a change, hazel eyes and skin incapable of tanning even though my dad is constantly dark.
Awkward and shy until you get to know me, and then you’re usually left wishing I was still awkward and shy.
Not really short and not really tall, never growing, and never quite sure how I feel about that.
Combat boots and lots of black with random mixes of bright colors, Toms, Uggs and girly things.
Fuzzy sweaters, long sleeves, leggings and fuzzy socks, constantly freezing no matter what the weather is.
16, trying to figure out who I am, who I want to be and who everyone else wants me to be.
Young enough to still be stupid and get away with things but also too old to do a lot of the things I still wish I could do.
Fun, happy, outgoing, shy, easily irritated, awkward, sad, optimistic and pessimistic all at the same time.



2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful sense of who you are and how you see the world. Thanks for sharing a bit of that with us. I used to be much like you, the boss of everything and always wanting to know what's next...I've mellowed some in my old age, but I think it's great to be driven and motivated to make your family proud. I'm sure your aunt would be so proud of the lovely girl you have become and she'd be so happy to know you have lots of options for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am constantly freezing too!! I live in leggings, sweaters, long sleeves, and fuzzy socks!

    ReplyDelete